Change is in the air… can you feel it? Can you smell it? With that change, we’re here to bring you a variety of juicy Wellness Tips & Musings written by our one and only Village Witch, Co-Founder and Co-Producer, Sarah Wu.
Hello beautiful beings and Envisionaries!
Take a moment, step outside and breathe in the delicious air, that primal substance that connects us to all other living creatures on this planet. I’m here to drop back into this essence with you and share tips on staying healthy as we traverse these new times!
Do you find yourself breathing shallowly, and not fully taking in the life force all around us? If you fear breathing deeply you are not connecting to this vital substance! Maybe you live in a place where the air quality is poor and breathing deep isn’t always healthy. If this is the case, what can you do?
HOW CAN PLANTS HELP IN MY HOME?
Bringing plants into your indoor living environment can benefit the lungs by purifying the air of toxins from modern furnishings, synthetic building materials and dirty heating and air-conditioning units. They also reduce the growth of harmful mold and increase positive levels of humidity, which the lungs LOVE!
Simply having plants in your home positively affects your mood, memory, and lowers stress. A study by NASA actually states that it is a good idea to have 2 - 3 plants in 8-10 inch pots for every 100 square feet of living space.
If you are an animal lover, check out this page before going plant shopping. Some of our fur babies love to nibble on green leaves. Just like us, we want them to be healthy and safe.
Suggested Animal-Friendly, Non-Toxic Houseplants:
- Spider Plant, Chlorophytum comosum
- Areca Palm, Chrysalidocarpus lutescens
- Bamboo Palm, Chamaedorea seifrizii
- Gerber Daisy, Gerbera jamesonii
- Prayer Plant, Maranta leuconeura
- Boston Fern, Nephrolepis exaltata
In 2017, Envision hosted environmental activist and eco-model, Summer Rayne Oakes who is known for her writing, directing and advocacy as well as for her immense collection of indoor plants in her Brooklyn home...over 500 individual plants covering over 150 species in a 1200 square foot apartment! Talk about #plantgoals
WHAT ABOUT INTERNAL OPTIONS?
Here is my list of must have nourishing and gentle medicinal plants and mushrooms that support the lungs and overall respiratory health as we step into the Winter months.
- Mullein Leaves: These furry leaves make soothing teas and tinctures that help soothe irritated lungs, allowing for deeper breaths.
- Cordyceps Mushroom: This adaptogenic tonic that helps the body cope with stress is also a medicine for the lungs! It strengthens lung tissue and increases oxygenation of cells. Beneficial for those with breathing issues and asthma. Best taken as a tincture.
- Licorice Root: A soothing medicine for mucus membrane, this root is specifically indicated for those with dry cough and dryness in the lungs. Licorice is also adaptogenic and regulates stress hormones produced by the Adrenal Glands, as well as being antiviral and deliciously sweet tea.
- Wild Lettuce Leaves: Pain relieving and antispasmodic for those coughs that wake us up at night. I like this best in tincture form.
- Lobelia Leaves: As a drop dose tincture, this strange tasting plant is antispasmodic for asthma attacks.
- Usnea Lichen: A powerful respiratory antibiotic and immune stimulant, lichens are a symbiotic organism combining a fungi and an algae!
- Wild Cherry Bark: As a tea, tincture or lozenge, this medicine is excellent for those sickly coughs at the back of the throat and upper lungs.
OH! AND WHAT ABOUT MY NOSE & EARS?
Stuffy nose? Clogged ears? Check out Yerba Santa. It’s one of my favorites for upper respiratory congestion.
AND WHAT ABOUT THOSE MASKS?
I put a few drops of essential oils in my mask to support my lungs. Try one drop each of Thyme, Eucalyptus and Geranium in your mask a few minutes before you put it on. These potent extracts will kill germs and keep the air passages clear. You could also consider a drop of Peppermint for extra zing!
In these cold weather months, don't forget to wear a scarf and hat to protect the ears and throat while keeping the body healthy.
Envision Special for those looking for upper and lower respiratory support.
Use Discount Code: ENVISIONBREATH and receive a 20% discount on your purchase.
Mountain Rose Herbs for the purchase of bulk and prepared products that are ethically harvested, organically cultivated and supportive of ecosystems around the globe.
WANT TO LEARN MORE?!
Join Me for a LIVE WEBINAR: Foundations in Regenerative Herbalism
This introduction to the multidisciplinary studies of permaculture and herbalism is for beginners and for those who are looking to expand their current practice with permaculture philosophy. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO
**SPECIAL WEBINAR OFFER: Envision followers please accept this gift of a $25 discount off the tuition for this six part LIVE webinar! Use coupon code HT9RSVSG at checkout.
“I can think of fewer things as relevant as bringing people back into connection and wonder with the soil. Our disconnection, our extraction, disillusion, apathy, injustice, exploitation all comes from the turning away from the soil beneath our feet. All breath comes from soil, all life returns to soil, yours and every other life form eventually feeds the vital force of another, in this rests true eternity. Take it home.” ~ Sarah Wu